I am one of those folks that require (notice I said required and not want ) a piece of sweet something following a meal. From what I’ve read in the literature and magazines there is controversy as to why this is. After lunch at work I can solve this problem with frozen grapes (don’t mock it till you try it!!) or gum. Dinner is another story. Harder to satisfy the craving. So when I saw the skeleton of this meal on allreciepes.com it got the gears going in my noggin. I used the grill instead of the suggested broiler, and added in few twists of my own.
I liked this meal for a variety of reasons. I wanted to grill, but didn’t feel like slicing and dicing the same ol zucchini, pepper, onion stand by. This meal solved both of those issues, and as a bonus no dessert was needed!!! Not to mention the healthy content of this meal, where to start…. Tons of clean burning carbs ( you know I love those) from the polenta, banana, beans and tofu. Protein from bean and polenta combo, and tofu. Antioxidants from pineapple and tomato in the salsa, just to touch on some of the nutrients. Woo, plus my fiance master griller and non meat eater gave it a 9/10!
Allrighty, enough talk lets get to it:
Grilled Vegan Polenta Arepas
1 block of tofu
1 tube of prepared polenta
Olive Oil for grilling
1 cup black beans undrained
2 avocados sliced (apparently they were hiding when I took the pic)
Pineapple or mango salsa prepared (I cheated) or you can make your own
1/2 Tbsp Cumin
2 garlic cloves
1. If you have a charcoal grill like us get that fire going. She said fire hehe hehe (sorry had Bevis and Butthead relapse).
2. Slice tofu into large rectangular blocks, and the polenta and banana into circles. Set aside. Do not worry about the round hole and square peg issue.
4. In mixing bowl combine beans, garlic and cumin. Mix with hand held mixer or food processor until smooth. Set aside with salsa.
4. Throw tofu, polenta and bananas on grill. grill until those black crispy marks appear.
5. Spread out on table like this:
6. Assemble to become dinner and dessert in one
this one either ha! Finally done .
Music: We listened to Arctic Monkeys new cd Suck It and See, and their older one Humbug to compare how they have progressed. Both of us have been hooked on the old cd for a while, so the new one had a lot to live up to. And while the new one is good, it is slower and less complex. So we still enjoy the older cd a little bit more. But it was a good grilling mix!