Sometimes you just need a little sweetness.
Ok, maybe I need to clarify. I need a little (or a lot) of sweetness, and my husband can take it or leave it. Hmmm, I just don’t understand.
Anyways, I’m always on the look out for “healthier” desserts to satisfy the craving without tons of sugar and fat.
Two words- Cinnamon Cake. Soooo much healthier than a Cinnabon….. Plus, there is a little protein hidden in there to slow the insulin spike. Inspired by Nourish and Flourish.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup Oatbran
3/4 cup sugar 0r 3/4 Splenda granulated
1 tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp slat
1 cup non fat plain yogurt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp water
2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 Tsp salt
1/2 cup quick oats
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup powdered sugar
3 Tbsp almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 13 X 9 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the oat bran, whey protein, stevia (or sugar), baking powder, baking soda, and salt. stir to blend.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, combine yogurt, eggs, applesauce, oil and water. Stir until smooth. Add wet ingredients to dry, stir to blend. Spread evenly in pan.
4. In a small bow, stir together cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla and salt. Add oats add stir to blend. Add butter and rub in with fingers until mixture is moist crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over batter, can even swirl into batter with knife.
5. Bake 25 minutes, allow to cool before cutting into 12 pieces.
6. While cooling mix icing ingredients. This is a thin glaze, to cut down on sugar. If you desire a thicker glaze add more powdered sugar, or even try the vanilla protein powder. Then pour icing over cooled cake.