Life keeps going, and with it more choices. When there is less time, and more options sometimes it is best to head back to what has worked in the past. There is no need to reinvent the wheel everyday.
When it comes to eating mindfully, a good protein and carb combo, with veggies keep my husband and I functioning throughout the week with clear heads. So it’s back to more spinach and broccoli for us, but really any veggies of the season or craving can be substituted.
One thing to note, this requires refrigeration over night to allow the bread to soak up the liquid. Great to make on a Sunday night, then heat up on Monday after work.
Green Veggie Strata
* 12 ounce package spinach, Wilted
1 chopped Onion
1 head of chopped broccoli
3 Garlic Cloves Minced
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 cups cubed Bread- Your favorite
6 oz Mozeralla Cheese
12 oz Ricotta Cheese
2 oz finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 3/4 cups Almond milk
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1. Remove excess liquid from wilted Spinach and set aside.
2. Sautée onion and garlic in coconut oil in a large heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in broccoli. Then, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes. Last, stir in Spinach until combined. Turn off heat.
3. Layer 1/3 of bread cubes on the bottom of baking dish. Top with vegetable mixture. Then top this with 1/3 of cheese combination. Repeat this layering 2 more times.
4. Whisk together milk, eggs, mustard, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl and pour evenly over strata. Place covered strata in your refrigerator for at least 8 hours to allow the bread to soak up the liquid.
5. The next day, Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove strata from refrigerator, and allow it to warm to room temperature- about 30 minutes. Bake the strata, uncovered, until golden brown, 50 to 55 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.