This easy and versatile casserole was pulled from the files of my husband’s past. He recalls his mom making this dish for breakfast when guests were in town, or some evenings for dinner.
Depending on what your diet, taste or nutrient needs a variety of substitutions can be made. For bread the choices are endless: gluten free, white, sourdough… We used Trader Joe’s sprouted barely because it was on hand. For toppings, any type of cheese will work, and use your favorite vegetable blend.
6 slices bread of choice
1/4 Coconut milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese
2 cups chopped broccoli
2 cups spinach
1/2 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
6 ounces black olives chopped
6 ounces salsa
1 tbsp coconut oil
6 links Cooked Sausage- optional
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat Oven to 350. Layer bread in greased 9×12 baking dish.
2. Over Medium heat melt Coconut Oil, add Onion. Saute until Onion is softened 4-6 Minutes. Add broccoli and garlic cooking until Broccoli is softened 2-4 minutes.
3. While vegetables are cooking in large mixing bowl beat eggs with Coconut milk until well combined. Add in Salt and Pepper. Set aside.
4. Pour vegetable mixture evenly over bread in baking dish. Layer sausage over half of casserole.
5. Pour egg mixture over vegetables and bread.
6. Sprinkle olives, salsa and cheese evenly in baking dish.
7. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.
8. Remove from oven, slice and enjoy.