Sometimes corn gets a bad rap. Yes, it’s overused in many products that can break down quickly spiking your insulin, but there are two different types of corn. And, when corn is eaten closer to the source it does have some great benefits.
For you active Yogi’s, runners and cyclists it is a great natural carb (gluten free) to refuel your glycogen sources. Also, when your sweet buds and desensitized to sugar you will notice corn will add a subtle sweetness to a dish. Corn is also a good source of fiber, and nutrients, for more info click on the link.
This recipe is modified from Vegan Cooking for Carnivores, by Roberto Martin. It’s a great source for easy and adaptable Vegan recipes even Non Vegans would enjoy. For the original recipe head over to Amazon to get the book.
We actually doubled the recipe and filled a 13X9 and 9X9 baking dishes and had enough for the whole week and for friends.
Vegan Corn Casserole
3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 Yellow Onion diced
1 Can of Green Chilies (we used the small can from Trader Joe’s)
4 Garlic Cloves minced
1/4 Cup flour of Choosing (can use gluten free, or whole wheat)
1 Cup Vegetable Broth
1 16 Ounce can of Corn Kernels (or you can scrape some fresh ones of a cob)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbsp Agave Nectar (optional)
1 Cup of grated Vegan Cheese (Diaya or Trader Joe’s Soy version both work)
5 Soy Sausage links chopped
1/4 Cup Green Onions chopped
2 Cups chopped Broccoli
1 6 ounce can of Black Olives
1. Preheat Oven to 350. Grease Baking dish (size depends on quantity made-if single 13X9).
2. In large pan heat oil. Then add Garlic and Onion, stirring until Onion is almost translucent 5-6 minutes. Then add broccoli and cook the vegetable mixture for another 3-4 minutes. Then add Chilies, Soy Sausage links, and Black Olives stir until well combined.
3. Slowly add in Vegetable broth, flour and corn to Vegetable mixture, gently stirring. Add in pepper, salt, Cayenne pepper, and Agave. Continue to mix until Broth Thickens.
4. When Vegetable mixture has heated through and is somewhat thick carefully pour into baking dish. Sprinkle Cheese, then Green Onions over the top.
5. Place in oven and bake for approx 45 minutes, until cheese is browned and there is bubbling in the dish. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.