There are days, distances, asanas, stretches, workouts that you need to push though your mental barriers. And, there are days when you need to respect your limits and let go. Sometimes all this goes without saying, but sometimes we need friendly nudges.
When to push:
1. Uncomfortable stretch.
2. Muscle burn.
3. Muscle shaking.
4. Just tired and unmotivated.
5. Nervous about trying a new sport. Just go slow.
When to let go:
1. Pain. Done deal.
2. Extreme fatigue or soreness for many days in a row.
3. Any unease at a new skill, especially if you are skipping progression.
4. End of a workout or practice and you are mentally and physically exhausted. Take it from me. Leave it, come back another day.
5. Shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness.
Listen to your body, let it tell you what you are capable at any moment. By doing so you lower your risk of injury, and increase your ability to progress quicker in the long run.